[ABC] New to A-B-C

Mike Smithers rebelcaller at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 06:54:32 PDT 2013

Thanks Rick! I'll definitely keep the group posted as to how this goes.

As I understand it, there was a very active, and fairly young, Club there for years, until October 2008, when their Caller, Alan Carpenter, had a stroke and moved away. I've been in touch with him and he's guiding and advising me as I go.

Do to the distance involved and the travel time and expense I'll be going there a couple weekends a month. The "core group" who is already motivated and eager to learn definitely want to "go all the way," learning Mainstream and perhaps Plus, form a Club, visit other Clubs, the whole 9 yards.

My plan is to use A-B-C to get the community involved, and help grow the Club. I figure every time I go up there we'll advertise and hold an A-B-C Dance for anyone who is interested, followed by lessons for those who want to go the distance. "Blast Master" Scot Byars has been advising me on teaching "non-traditional" lessons, since we can't really hold the "once a week for a thousand weeks" sort of lessons that many Clubs offer.

We don't want to leave anyone behind, yet we do not want the core group to be held back. This way, "casual" dancers can have fun once or twice a month, and the "hardcore" dancers can become full-fledged Mainstream/Plus dancers fairly quickly.

I'm quite new to Square Dancing, and one of the things that I love the most is the willingness of "established" Callers to help, guide, advise, and mentor us new Callers! I truly appreciate each and every one who has been guiding me along the way!

Best Regards,
Mike...