[ABC] Square Dance Revival

JERRYSTORY at aol.com JERRYSTORY at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 07:29:49 PDT 2013

Hooray!
Please see below the article which came out in the Fairfield Ledger just
today!!
Square Dancing is on fire in my little home town of  Fairfield, Iowa.  This
is all due to the dedication of the leadership  and keeping a venue going
(like ABC) for people who are not sure they want  to move on.  Several new
dancers have watched others move on while  they are very content dancing the
ABC program.  Whether it be the exact ABC  program or something similar, the
secret is offering some place for these  new people to dance until such time
as THEY THEMSELVES decide to move  on.  Fairfield has figured it out!  It's
all about nurturing the new  dancers and providing a place for them to
enjoy Square Dancing unencumbered by  the force of levels.

Fairfield, Iowa,,, we all applaud your effort!

Square  dancing seeing revival
Sep  03, 2013
_Share  on facebook_
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#) _Share  on twitter_
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#) _Share
 on email_
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#) _Share  on print_
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#) _More  Sharing
Services_
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#)
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#) _0_
(http://fairfield-ia.villagesoup.com/p/square-dancing-seeing-revival/1051186?cid=118696#)

Square  dance fever has hit Fairfield.
Since  January dozens of people have enrolled in square dancing taught by
Robin Ragen,  the club caller for the Dudes ’n’ Dolls in Ottumwa.
“Square  dancing is an experience, not an event – a lifelong hobby,
something you can do  at any age,” said Ragen.
The  activity is a perfect complement to Fairfield’s Blue Zones Project,
according to  Sarvani Viger-Edson and Mary Gagnon. Square dancing offers
low-impact exercise  that boosts mental skills and provides a setting to make new
social  connections.
“For  exercise, mind-body coordination, teamwork, fellowship, and fun,
square dancing  offers an unexpected bounty of benefits,” added Elaine Reding.
Ragen  will offer another 10-week series for novice dancers on Monday
evenings  beginning next week and continuing through Nov. 11 in the Pence
Elementary  School gym. Sessions will run from 8-9:30 p.m. New dancers should
arrive 15 minutes early to register for the first session. Lessons are open to
all ages from 12 years and up, and both couples and singles are welcome,
although children should be accompanied by an adult.
The  cost for the entire series is $35.
After  a handful of sessions, Fairfield students have been able to
participate in  dances organized by square dance clubs throughout Iowa. Admission
for the events  are typically around $6 per dancer. Square dancing offers a
low-cost evening of  fun, exercise and socializing. A crew of Fairfield
dancers who learned this year  has been so captivated by the activity they’ve gone
to both the Iowa and  Illinois state square dance conventions.
“Everyone  is family, everyone becomes your next door neighbor, when you
square dance,”  said Ron Blair.
“I  must say that square dancing is nothing that ever crossed my mind. I
would never  have thought of it in a million years. Yet here I am loving it.
Go figure,” said  Susan Jatkowski.
Michele  Weber, long-time square dancer and former Pence school teacher, is
one of  several experienced dancers who come to help out at lessons. Ragen
refers to  them as “angels.”
“We  enjoy being angels because it is fun to meet new people and see them
learning  and having a good time,” said Weber.
For  more information, visit the Fairfield Square Dance website at
_www.FairfieldSquareDance.com_ (http://www.fairfieldsquaredance.com/)  or call
Viger-Edson at 472-6434  or Gagnon at 472-6096.

Tel.: 641-472-6434
_www.FairfieldSquareDance.com_ (http://www.fairfieldsquaredance.com/)

Jerry Story

2270 Marigold Blvd.
Fairfield, Iowa  52556
Cell-956-358-3888
Email-_jerrystory at aol.com_ (http://jerrystory@aol.com/)
_www.jerrystory.com_ (http://www.jerrystory.com/)

Round Trip Galveston,  TX
March  30 - April 6
2014 All Star  Cruise
Joe Saltel & Jerry  Story
_Click Here and  Download Flier_
(http://jerrystory.com/Portals/0/2014%20Flyer%20Update.pdf)

Fairfield, Iowa Fall Festival
Oct. 11th & 12th, 2013
Joe Saltel * Jim  & Linda Kuhle * Jerry Story
_Jerrystory.com_ (http://jerrystory.com/)  for Flyer

Come Join Us at
*PRIDE RV  RESORT*
"Square Dance Vacations of a  Lifetime"