[ABC] What is a Poem?

JERRYSTORY at aol.com JERRYSTORY at aol.com
Sun Sep 8 13:00:22 PDT 2013

Hello everyone and welcome to the new ABC discussion  group.

I had a question come direct to me and thought it would be  good to share
it here.

The term "Poem" is often used in ABC Square Dance  language.  The question
was:

"What is meant, exactly, by this term and why was it chosen to  be used?"
Very good question.  I'll give my interpretation and maybe  someone else
will have something to share as well.  We wanted the published  ABC Singing
Call figures to be more or less a "Memorized Poem".  Something  simple that
never changed.  Something easy for new callers to memorize  and the dancers
could enjoy.  The conventional wisdom was "Change the Music  and Rhthym,,, Not
the Poem".  With a dozen good ABC Poems and a nice big  bucket of good music
a whole lot of entertaining can be done with a very limited  vocabulary.
The greatest thing is,,,
new dancers can join in the fun and fellowship each and every  week.

Next week I'd like to have a discussion on the CALLERLAB/ACA  12 week
Experimental Teaching Order/List.  I find it very interesting and  very similar
to the Club 50 program presented on the ABCSqaureDancing.com  website by the
Rio Grande Valley Callers Association.  ABC Square Dancing  is a perfect fit
for a 50 call program.  It's nice to see this style  of cooperation.  Our
appreciation goes to Elmer Sheffield, Bill Harrison,  Paul Marcum, Gary
Shoemake, and Tim Marinner.
Great Start!  This is exciting!  See ya next  week.

Sincerely,

Jerry Story

2270 Marigold Blvd.
Fairfield, Iowa  52556
Cell-956-358-3888
Email-_jerrystory at aol.com_ (http://jerrystory@aol.com/)
_www.jerrystory.com_ (http://www.jerrystory.com/)

Round Trip Galveston,  TX
March  30 - April 6
2014 All Star  Cruise
Joe Saltel & Jerry  Story
_Click Here and  Download Flier_
(http://jerrystory.com/Portals/0/2014%20Flyer%20Update.pdf)

Fairfield, Iowa Fall Festival
Oct. 11th & 12th, 2013
Joe Saltel * Jim  & Linda Kuhle * Jerry Story
_Jerrystory.com_ (http://jerrystory.com/)  for Flyer

Come Join Us at
*PRIDE RV  RESORT*
"Square Dance Vacations of a  Lifetime"