[ABC] A New Square Dance Club

Jerry jbuckmastr at aol.com
Wed Feb 5 10:19:46 PST 2014

All,

Feel free to forward this e-mail to anyone caller who is interested in "Getting Back to the Basics"

We are having out first "Community Dance Night" on Monday, 22 February. We have at least 4 participating callers in this first dance night. We can have regular dances on Monday nights, but are feeling out the city and will have one on Friday night in the near future and one on Saturday night.

Right now we are following the 2 Hour Dance Night with a 1 Hour Mainstream.

My plan is to oversee and get 2 or maybe 3 callers each night and rotate them. Zodie & I  will oversee each night to make sure that the 2 Hours remains basic and fun. Anyone who is interested in more, we will come up with a plan, such as the below to move them through the Club 50 calls.

My intent, if we get enough participation and settle down on steady nights, continuing the Community Dance Night but will replace the 1 Hour of Mainstream by moving into the Club 50 if there are enough dancers who are interested.

My personal opinion, the longer that new dancers participate in the Community Dance Program and get a very solid handle on the 24 calls used, the easier it will be to move anyone up who so desires. It is the old requirement that never should have disappeared about dancing 1 full year or more before moving to Plus. We need to build a solid foundation.

The focus will be the ABC program, with a mixer or two, contra such as the Virginia Reel to add a little variety. These nights will not change, but will always be listening for those who might want just a little more.

In order to give is a much better variety, we are having caller workshops, with 6 participating callers, focusing on Crams and being able quickly identify our key dancers for a structure Get-Out, not a hunt and peck Get-Out. These workshops will continue for a significant amount of time, hopefully getting the attention of other local callers.

If anyone has follow up programs that are working in their area, we will review any inputs in great detail to add what will help us grow in the Milwaukee area.

This is a long term plan and/or goal and will be a work in progress for a long long time, keeping tight hold on the reigns to the horse does not get away.

Jerry & Zodie
414-304-5661