[ABC] Is ABC still a viable alternative?

Mike Gormley WA8VEC at ARRL.NET
Sun Sep 11 21:57:09 PDT 2016

Well I don't expect to make much money on this situation at $2.50 per
person which is the arrangement with the venue, but the venue is FREE.
The venue is a health club, who has a workout floor for things like
Jazersize (sp) / Zumba.  I will have room for 3 squares. The club's
policy is to offer all activities "free" to the membership.   So for any
of the members wanting to participate in square dancing, I can not
charge for them.

Here is the good part.    I can let outsiders (non members) in to the
dancing and they pay $5.00 to the health club for each visit.   The club
and I will split the $5,  thus I get $2.50 per "non member who comes".
The venue is free.

Now I don't expect the regular membership to want to take regular MWSD
lessons, so ABC seems to be the best choice.   This will satisfy my use
of the hall to the management and introduce non dancers to square dancing.

Secondly, I will now use the same arrangement and venue at _another
time_ for a MWSD series of classes. Not necessarily, beginner classes,
but for DBD Plus.   This will solve a need for the existing MWSD
population in the area.   The problem has always been finding an
affordable venue.  I will be flexible as the situation changes,  where
if enough interest generates, I will offer Basic Square Dance Classes or
Sustainable Square Dance.

The club has a membership of about 1000 and the city has a population of
about 10 or 12 thousand.

So if I get 2 squares of paying MWSD dancers and 1 or 2 squares of non
paying ABC at 1.5 hours per class/dance, I will make a whopping $40 for
3 hours work.  Remember, no rent to pay.  Of course there is the
homework before the class/dance, so maybe I will make $6 per hour to
supplement my Social Security.

Maybe I should just go get one of those $15/hour fast food jobs.

Mike Gormley
Sebring, FL
Cell:  419.376.0557
www.Mike-Gormley.com