[ABC] ABC and the 50 Call Program

JERRYSTORY at aol.com JERRYSTORY at aol.com
Thu Oct 3 20:43:17 PDT 2013

I would love to hear the people who came up with these lists discuss why
they made the choices that they did.  Just from looking at the lists
themselves, once one gets beyond the "obvious" deletions of things that
everybody seems to think are relatively worthless, it's often hard to
tell why particular calls were chosen.

It is plain to see the logic in both  lists.  I see groups of calls that
actually go good together in both  lists.  (flutters and sweeps- rollway and
box the gnat - veers and couples  circulate early on - etc.).  We chose Star
Thru, Dive Thru and California  Twirl over Pass to the Center for a logical
reason.  We felt new  dancers needed the security of the hand hold.  I still
feel this way but am  not real passionate about it.  We could easily agree
to Slide Thru, Partner  Trade and Pass To The Center.  I have no problem
with that.  As I  said, A list is a list is a list.  Let's just all agree and
get on with  it.

I have no problem with people working on trying  to come up with a better
list.  (But maybe I am confused about what you  mean by "this project" --
what project?  I responded to a message  posted on the ABC list.  Is that
what you mean?)  All I meant was  that I don't think people should be
_waiting_ for any sort of agreement  before trying to make use of this
general approach in their own area.   And personally, I don't see the
lack of a list as the key problem.  We  already have several lists that
people can use, some of which have been  around for many years -- and
most people aren't using any of  them.

"This Project" is The Big  Picture".  We are just doing some preliminary
water testing.   Ultimately our Professional Leadership Organizations will
have to continue the  pursuit of a final document.  I say the sooner the better
because a lot of  work still needs to be done.  The reason we are creating
a new  list is to try and put the calls on it that callers use most, both in
Patter and  Singing Calls.  I would love it if we could just use the Basic
list but  times have changed and so has caller ability.  Most callers need
what I  call a few utility calls from the MS program to make a list that
stands any  chance of being used in the future.  With the right set of calls,
sanctioned by our Professional Leadership, along with caller education and we
 stand a GREAT chance of callers starting to final use a shorter  program.

But I see quite a few more significant differences between  those two
lists.  RGV50 includes Chain Down the Line, Circle to a Line,  Cross Run,
Wheel and Deal from 2-faced lines, First/Next Couple Go  Left/Right,
Centers In, and Tag / 1/2 Tag the Line, all of which require  explicit
teaching because their meaning is not obvious to a new dancer just  from
the words of the name, and several of these are actions that many
beginners have trouble getting even after they have been explained.
None of these taken separately is all _that_ hard to teach, but taken
together they could easily add several weeks to the total teaching  time.

Ironically the calls you mention are some  of the utility calls I was
referring to.  If they've had Ladies Chain then  Ladies Chain Down the Line does
not even need a teach,, Just Call It.   First Couple Left Next Right takes
very little time to teach.  If we are  going to teach Cast Off, and start
with a "logical order of difficulty"  (something else we will have to discuss
for each call). then we need Centers In  (teach time 10 seconds).  You are
correct that some calls will take a bit  of time, like Tags.  But, it seems
callers need half tag and scoot back for  singing calls.  Recycle is another
example of a needed "utility  call".

Thanks for you input Joe

Jerry Story

2270 Marigold Blvd.
Fairfield, Iowa  52556
Cell-956-358-3888
Email-_jerrystory at aol.com_ (http://jerrystory@aol.com/)
_www.jerrystory.com_ (http://www.jerrystory.com/)

Round Trip Galveston,  TX
March  30 - April 6
2014 All Star  Cruise
Joe Saltel & Jerry  Story
_Click Here and  Download Flier_
(http://jerrystory.com/Portals/0/2014%20Flyer%20Update.pdf)

Fairfield, Iowa Fall Festival
Oct. 11th & 12th, 2013
Joe Saltel * Jim  & Linda Kuhle * Jerry Story
_Jerrystory.com_ (http://jerrystory.com/)  for Flyer

Come Join Us at
*PRIDE RV  RESORT*
"Square Dance Vacations of a  Lifetime"
Click Here_  pridervresort.com_ (http://pridervresort.com/)

Stay Healthy and Wealthy
_getyour2now.com/kristyandjerry_ (http://argi9solutions.com/kristy)
a_rgi9solutions.com/kristy_ (http://argi9solutions.com/kristy)
_jerrystory.myproargi9.net_ (http://jerrystory.myproargi9.net/)

In a message dated 10/3/2013 8:54:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time,