[ABC] Keeping Grade 7 and 8 kids interested in dancing for a hour.

Bob Summers summers_bob at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 3 16:01:24 PST 2014

Not truly an ABC issue but I'm sure the list members have plenty of
experience with this.

Last year I did a square dance session with a full gym of students
(several classes of grade 7's and 8's).  Session is just over an hour in
length.

Except for a large circle dance at the beginning and a modified Virginia
Reel, it always seemed an uphill battle trying to do some form of dance
that actually resembles Square Dancing.  It was either their lack of
attention, interest, execution, hand contact, etc or just some boys
horsing around instead of dancing.

/*Circle Dance*: Nothing more than 4 steps forward and return (twice)
(16 beats), once for the Girls (8), once for the Boys (8), Right Elbow
Swing (8), Left Elbow Swing(8), Promenade (16) .../usually to Mickey
Mouse - SR 601.
/*Virginia Reel*: longer than normal lines because running down the
sides to go under the arch seemed the best part of the dance./

Apparently the kids enjoyed themselves (at least the school would like
me to do it again).  However I didn't find it all that personally
satisfying.  So before I agree to do it again, I'm trying to find dances
that have more "self-entertainment" value that these kids will enjoy doing.

Does anyone have any advice or dances with kid-appeal that they could share?

Thanks

Bob Summers
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada